Friday, April 6, 2012

a combo of blog 2 and 3

After much consideration, I've decided on understanding Mexico by exploring a subject I quite enjoy: food. Food, I've been finding out, comes in many forms and does tell a lot about a person. Lately, I've been having a growing interest in trying new different recipes from around the world, from Japan to Korea, and lately, Latin America. I was aware of the enchiladas and the burritos and the churros (are they Mexican?) and as I grew older and grew a larger palette of taste, I began appreciating the different spices and flavors they brought.

Growing up in America, the only Mexican food I've been exposed to were the numerous Taco Bells and other big chain "Mexican" restaurants. Though I lived in an area with a large Mexican community, I had little idea of what foods Mexico had to offer. The burritos I had were from school cafeterias and frozen foods from the grocery. Enchiladas I tasted once and fell in love with. The creamy taste of the sauce baked into tortillas wrapped around a mix of meat and spices; forever to this day, I have been trying to find the perfect enchilada recipe.

Often times, I would snob at the hot peppers Mexico would offer, preferring the sharp tongue numbing taste of south east Asian peppers. But now I realize that the variety of peppers Mexico had were smoky and deeper in taste, varying on sizes and color and of course, there were the ones that brought the burn, even more so than what I've been accustomed to. And when I realized how much they were used in Mexican cuisine and in so many ways, I wanted to know more and explore more of those recipes.

And then I heard about this chocolate sauce, spiced and poured over rice, chicken, and can be used for almost anything in the Mexican cuisine. This sauce, the mole, can be rivaled to the top American bbq sauce. Going by the testimonies from people, both from Latin and non-Latin descent, the mole is the most delicious thing ever. I've yet to have a taste of this but by looking at this mole negro oaxaqueno recipe (link), it looks awesome, and intimidating, to try.

And last but not least, I think what contributed to my understanding and appreciation of Mexican cuisine is Anthony Bourdain:

No comments:

Post a Comment