Saturday, February 4, 2012

An Introduction

Quite honestly, I'm not sure what to blog about. For the past week since hearing about this project, the idea of what to write about ethnicity and what it has to do with modern Mexico has continuously been difficult. I've always been focused on my own ethnicity but the amount of attention I gave it was minimal; I was more concerned with what I could do as a person rather than what I was. But I realized that people were not like me (a fortunate thing) and very much cared about their ethnicity. 


Ethnicity, as I talked more with people and observed, very much defined a person and no matter how far removed a person was. I grew up in an area where there was a large community of Latinos and never paid much attention to it until I was in my first year of college. I had a Latino roommate who was extremely proud of where she came from and would give me interesting tidbits of her life. It always amazed me at how much she embraced her background. Never was she ashamed of it and would encourage me to get involved in Latin holidays and festivities. I enjoyed them immensely and from that year, had a higher appreciation and understanding of Latin culture.


So, even though in the beginning I thought I wasn't able to find something to blog about, here I am completing this introduction with a tiny story about my friend and former roommate and her intense pride as a Latino.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting, I quite enjoyed your introduction. My first blog was similar like yours, I too I’m not clear on what my topic is going to be on my blog , due to the reason that I have many ideas that I do not know in which one I want to do.

    I would of like to see more creativity in font, pictures, videos etc. that can make your blog more fun to see. I hope you will be able to come up with a topic in your blog. I suggest going to the teacher during his office hours M & W, 2:15-3:15 pm, and by appointment in BSS 530. The sooner the better, he will surely answers your questions that you might have, perhaps even give you some ideas for your blog. Hope this will help...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This person has no Blog # 2 or #3.

    ReplyDelete